As you spend your days, weeks, months, or even years daydreaming about a Maui Vacation, there can only be one word to describe it: Paradise. However, as we all know, paradise can cost a pretty penny, and leave many sunburned and a bit lighter in the wallet.
But have no worries, check out these three activities that can offer maximum fun with minimum spending on your next Maui getaway!
1. Visit a Local Farmers Market
Located right in West Maui, in close vicinity to your stay at Kahana Village, is a foodie paradise full of farm fresh produce and local eats. The farmers market at Honokowai offers residents and visitors a wide selection of essentially locally grown or made items. Open from 7am-7pm, stop here for an inexpensive shopping experience in this warm and welcoming atmosphere. Other farmers markets to visit are
- Maui Swap Meet – A must-do on Saturdays, this is Maui’s biggest open market open from 7am-1pm located at the University of Hawai’i Maui College in Kahului.
- Upcountry Farmer’s Market – Every Saturday from 7am-12noon, enjoy a nice upcountry stroll while shopping for made in Maui crafts and tropical floral bouquets.
- Queen Ka’ahumanu Center – Located in the mall in Kahului, this unique opportunity allows you to shop for local produce and all the stores you are familiar with back home. Open from 8am-4pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Farmers markets are a great way to pick up some homemade treats, made in Maui crafts for souvenirs, a fresh bouquet of flowers, and some ingredients for your sunset picnic later (See #3) without breaking the bank. Each one is also unique and you never know what kind of treasures you may find.
2. Upcountry Day Trip
Escape the hustle and bustle and make your way upcountry for a day trip exploring the slopes of Haleakala. A few must visits are:
- Ali’i Kula Lavender Farm – Breathe in some fresh crisp air among 13.5 acres of land filled with 45 varieties of lavender. Entrance fee is $3 and children ages 12 and under are free. Tip: Bring your own mug to get a free cup of lavender tea or coffee.
- Maui Wine – Visit this winery where the vineyards overlook the ocean tides and are rich with history and culture. Enjoy a complimentary guided tour of the King’s Cottage and the estate itself. You can also participate in tastings from 10am-5pm for a fee of $10-$15 (flight of 5 wines).
3. Sunset With Your Toes In The Sand
Maui is known for its stunning picturesque views so another budget-friendly activity would be to take advantage of the Kahana Village amenities at your Oceanfront Maui Resort. Grab some beach chairs, towels, and your goodies from your visit at the Farmers Market earlier that day to watch the sun dip below the horizon. Another option? Grab some ingredients at a local grocery store nearby and utilize our onsite gas barbeques to have a nice relaxing dinner on the convenience of your lanai (balcony).
Don’t miss out! Book your vacation rental today with Kahana Village and enjoy these budget-friendly activities. You won’t regret it!